Monday, December 30, 2013

Haim

Every once in a while, you get to hear about something refreshingly new. In between the Miley Cyrus and the Belibers influences there are some pretty good and new stuff.

So I’ve come across the name Haim for once or twice in the past few weeks. Once on the radio, and a couple more times on different music blogs and sites. So I knew they existed but that’s pretty much it.


The first thing you need to know is that you pronounce their name “Haim” just like “Time”. It’s actually their last name. We’re talking about three sisters of the Haim family. All born and raised in LA. Their father is a former Israeli, and as an Israeli myself I can tell you that Haim in Hebrew means life (just a little something for you… :)).

All three girls seems to be super talented. In music, studies and in general. The first born, Este Arielle was graduated from UCLA with ethnomusicology in just two years instead for the usual five. And all three girls are playing numerous musical instruments.


The band started out when the girls were still in high school. They used to play in local venues and events. At that time, all three were involved in different projects and the band was kind of a side gig.

Only around 2011 the girls of Haim decided to make Haim their main center of attention. The youngest sister Alana Mychal dropped out of college after only one year to join her sisters and the band took off by releasing their first EP “Forever” which was released in 2012.

When I first listened to Haim I heard the deep influence of Fleetwood Mac in their music. It’s not very easy to miss and you can find a lot of comments and review around the web comparing their sound the Fleetwood Mac sound.

The next strongest association with their sound is a kind of a 90’s sound. A bit hard to put the finger on the exact ingredient that makes that feel but it’s definitely there.



With video clips filmed in a happy and light atmosphere, and with their fresh new sound Haim brought something else to the 2013 musical scenery.

But, I have to admit something. I’m not a fan. The music is just a bit too light for my taste, it’s lacking the interest that I’m looking for when I’m looking for quality music, and it’s just a bit too simple to my taste. Too girly, too cheerful.

I can definitely see why they are so successful and can spot their crowed very easily. This is easy listening at its best.

Not my cup of tea, but a yet another success story of a musical family. I’m all up for these kind of stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment