Sunday, January 5, 2014

Dear MS MR

Last week, I wrote about Haim as one of the new icons in the indie scene, but I it seems I can’t get enough of new musical breakthroughs... So today, I want to talk about the amazing MS MR.

When talking about Haim, I mentioned how successful they are but just how not sure I am about liking their sound. This time around I’m writing about a band in which I’m totally in love with.

MS MR

In the past two – three years more electro-indie bands started to show up. The first band I bumped into were The XX almost four years ago. Now MS MR are here, and they are putting a pretty good fight when it comes to this kind of intriguing sound.

MS MR- which is meant to be pronounced as “Miz Mister” are an American based duo consisted with Lizzy Plapinger and Max Hershenow. Both were graduated from Vassar College in 2010. Lizzy Plapinger is also the co-founder of the New York City/London based independent record label Neon Gold records, and is well known in the indie music world.

MS MR

Their debut album “Secondhand Rapture” was released in May 2013 including the songs “Fantasy”, “Hurricane”, “Dark Doo Wop” and “Ash Tree Lane”.

When listening to MS MR, the first thing that came to my mind was that their sound is extremely similar to “Florence and the machine” and Lana Del Ray which by now, you all know I very much like.
In general, this kind of sound is something I really love and would want to see much more of. It’s a very intelligent way to play music, something to wrap your mind in, to put you in a good creative mood. The sound is a mix of clever electronical layers, smart beats and wicked lyrics served with a beautiful female mellowed voice. Just what I’m looking for in music in general.

And the best thing is – their video clips. Take for example “Fantasy” video clip. By far, one of the best video clips I've watched this year! Amazing shots, great ideas and an extremely strong massage. Don’t miss out on this experience!


Bottom line, I’m fell head over hills with MS MR. I think the songs “Twenty Seven”, “Fantasy” and “hurricane” are insanely good!

Do yourself a huge favor, stop whatever it is you’re doing, including reading this article, and go listen to those guys. It’ll be, by far, the best new thing for the beginning of your 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment