Monday, November 18, 2013

Long Lasting Hit

Know that feeling when you listen to a new song and it sounds familiar?

Well, that happened to me about a year ago. I was sitting at home with the radio on when something that I recognized but wasn’t sure about was starting to play. I found out it was Snow Patrol with Chasing Cars.
I didn’t know the name of the song, but I was convinced I heard about Snow patrol in the past, still – I wasn’t convinced. The video clip looked updated and new, and the radio kept playing that song again and again like it was a brand new single.

snow patrol chasing cars


Then, something weird happened.

I was watching some old episodes of Grey’s Anatomy season 2 (yeah, I know! It just took me a while to like it and now I can’t stop!), when suddenly Chasing Cars was playing in the back ground. Come to think about it – that episode was initially broadcasted in 2006! I was right! The song is not a new one after all.

The thing is, that song story in truly amazing. Chasing Cars was originally recorded in 2005, and was released in the UK in 2006. The timing was perfect. The song arrived to the music market right when legal downloading of music became popular. Chasing Cars became the bestselling single in the UK to this date!

At first the song had a first video clip version, but right after its appearance in Grey’s Anatomy the clip was edited and clips from the series was added to it. The new and secondary version of the clip failed to catch on so a new, third version was made. The third version of the clip is the one we know today.



The song hit the number 1 place on UK charts every year ever since solely based on its legal download sales! Every year from 2007 until 2013!

In 2013, the radio stations and MTV started playing the song massively. A song that appeared to be a brand new hit but actually is 6 years old.

Chasing Cars is a classic example of the modern classics. The crowed and the listeners voted that song to be that successful. Until this very day it’s the bestselling single of all times when talking about legal downloading.

That’s why that song is kept alive. That’s why I thought I knew it, because I did!

I think it’s a rare story of musical success and it’s something most artists today should aspire to. Being popular solely for the music. Grow from within the crowd’s love. Being a bestseller in terms of legal downloading and not just because some radio editor is in good terms with the record label, but because you’re worth loving, and paying for.

Chasing cars is a great song, an old and long lasting classic that is kept alive by its fans.

chasing cars snow patrol

No comments:

Post a Comment