Thursday, August 29, 2013

Metallica -Sad But True




For my 12th birthday, I got my first CD player. One quick glance at it, and I knew – life won’t be the same from now on.

Equipped by my weekly allowance, I entered the local music store. As a 12 year old growing up in the 90’s, the choice was between the Backstreet Boys and Metallica. Looking back on that moment, I can say it was probably a life changing decision. Ten long minutes later, it was made. I’m a young Metallica fan.

From that point on, Metallica stuck with me through thick and thin. Walking around school as a geeky seven grader was hard enough, even without those earphones plugged regularly to my ears, wearing my black Metallica shirts. Being a seven grader who likes Metallica was a social disaster.

Later on, Metallica’s songs became my high school soundtrack. Riding on my bike to school with Sad but True, doing my homework to the sounds of Muster of Puppets, and falling asleep while listening to Sandman.
 And as young girl, my lifelong dream was to attend a Metallica live concert. I used to replay the Metallica S&M concert video and long for that mind blowing adrenaline rush as the orchestra starts to play the intro of One, while Metallica joins in. I used to envy all those people in the crowd, screaming “Metallica” at the top of their lungs, standing only a few feet away from the greatest band in the world.

In 2010, it was finally my turn. I bought my ticket for the Metallica Magnetic tour. I got to watch the famous flames burst on stage, got to scream the lyrics and got to shed a tear of joy.
A Metallica fan’s wish came true.

My story with Metallica hasn't ended yet. It’s a story of a very long term, committed relationship. I no longer own a CD player, but even today, I always make sure Metallica is a part of my playlist. For the sack of all those moments in life, when you want to listen to that special something that makes you feel right at home, that makes you feel just like yourself, like a young girl discovering Metallica.

metallica sad but true





No comments:

Post a Comment