Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Getting Older with Depeche Mode



When Depeche Mode announced going on “sounds of the universe” tour in 2009, there was no doubt I’m going to be there. We started arranging the show day like a military operation- Ways to get the stadium, the right amount of water to carry, who stands where, and how to keep others from getting to the stage before us.

We arrived the stadium at 5:00 pm, ran like crazies to the stage, stood there and held the stage with our hands so that no one takes our place. It was a hot summer day, and we were dangerously excited and super determined not to let that poor stage go.
Just six hours and some pretty harsh wounds later, Depeche Mode got on stage. We did it! We’re at the first row! Dave Gahan is right next to me, dancing on the cat walk with arms wide open.
When you like a band, sitting at home listening to their albums is nice. Standing in a stadium, at the first row, looking back on 30,000 people waving their arm to the sounds of “never let me down again” is a surreal experience.  

The show was over, and we had to say our goodbyes to Depeche mode. I could barely walk, let alone stand. I couldn't talk, and my face were all red and puffy from screaming and crying at the same time.
Three months ago, Depeche Mode came back to stage with “Delta Machine” tour. This time I bought the ticket and just drove to the park where the show took place. I wasn't holding any stage parts what so ever. I just sat on the grass, sipping really expensive beer, talking quietly to people around me.
When Depeche Mode came on stage, the only way I could watch Dave Gahan this time was from the huge screens on the side of the stage, and this time I was whispering the lyrics, but just because I was the only one who knew it around the people I stood with.

There’s no doubt, time has its own way on people. It’s probably called getting old. I've been to two Depeche Mode concerts, and they were such extremely different experiences. Depeche Mode was there, their most favorite songs were played, and 30,000 people still waved their hands to the tunes of “never let me down again”. The only thing that was different was me. Still a fan, still waving my hands, but a bit older. 

getting older with depeche mode

No comments:

Post a Comment