Monday, August 26, 2013

Lana My Love

Last summer the radio started playing something different. The melody was rich and slow, the voice was low and deep. After a few times I started to hear the name Lana Del Rey. My searches after Lana Del Rey brought up a beautiful face of a woman that seemed a bit unusual. I wanted to know more about her.

Lana Del Rey was born in 1986 as Elizabeth Woolridge Grant in New York. At 14, she was sent away to boarding school to deal with her alcohol addiction. When listening to Lana Del Rey song lyrics you can spot the difficulty, the struggle that belongs to a troubled girl.

When listening to Lana Del Rey, you feel there’s more to the lyrics than just a fun young love story. Lana Del Rey gave an interview to GQ Magazine in 2012 saying that she thought drinking at 14 was about discovering her dark side. Lana Del Rey’s music and the way she sings, wraps her audience in her darkness. The thing is, I’m a darkness addict. So, Lana Del Rey is working pretty well for me…
I guess that I’m looking for a bit of a gloomy side in everything, mainly in music. When I was 14, I wasn’t an alcohol addict like Lana Del Rey (thank god), but I sure went through some pretty rough things. That was also about the time when music started playing a big role in my life. It’s been over a decade since those days, but whenever my ear identifies that darkness in a tune, it’s still brings me back.


Lana Del Rey is a beautiful singer, singing about love and boys. It would be extremely easy to be mistaken and think of Lana Del Rey as one of those girly music artists. Lana Del Rey is not that bubbly fun girl to listen to in a slumber party, she brings pain and depth to her music, and she’s doing it right.  
lana del ray my love

No comments:

Post a Comment