Thursday, October 24, 2013

A music Artist Meets a Music Icon

Growing up in Israel, I really liked listening to a singer called Aviv Geffen. Back in the 90’s Geffen was the most influential, ground breaking figure in the Israeli cultural view.

Starting his career at 16, he used to wear heavy makeup, lying on the stage floor and go against the Israeli political policy and the mandatory army service. we all liked him. As teenagers not only he was our voice calling for a change, he was also insanely talented.
Writing his own lyrics, composing his own melodies – Geffen brought something so fresh and so unique you couldn't ignore him.

The years went by, and Geffen talent got better and bigger. Israel, obviously was not enough.

In the early 2000’s I was in high school looking for some new, refreshing music to listen to.
Unlike other teenage girls, things like Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera wasn't very interesting for me. I had a new favorite band – the progressive rock band – Porcupine Tree.

porcupine tree steven wilson on collection.qtrax.com


Up until this very day, I’m amazed by that band. The music is so sophisticated, intelligent and mind stimulating.
Porcupine Tree’s leader – The almighty Steven Wilson brought that sophisticated sound, the tranquilizing voice, the meaningful lyrics.
And then a miracle happened. My two favorite singers Geffen and Wilson found each other and created Blackfield.

I, a young girl in her very early twenties, acknowledged the fact that her local music hero is now cooperating with her international music rock star.

The result was stunning. Blackfield sounded just like I dreamed it would.
 Porcupine tree meets the Israeli Aviv Geffen. Those insane melodies, with that recognized feeling back from home.

Wilson moved to Tel Aviv to work closely with Geffen. The band took off, started preforming in London and across Europe.

Blackfield on collection.qtrax.com


It’s been a decade of creation for Blackfield and only recently they released their latest album.
My appreciation for Geffen grow even bigger along the years. Now, not only an Israeli music icon but an international famous and appreciated artist.

During the past few year I grew a bit apart from the progressive musical genre, but just recently someone reminded me of Blackfield again.

Listening to the tunes of that band takes me straight to where I was when I was falling for them in the first place.

Blackfield to me is the prefect music fairy tale. A music artist meets a music icon. The rest is history.



No comments:

Post a Comment